Monday, March 10, 2008

RANT: Strays

I read a story awhile back about a father that couldn't handle his newborn son's crying anymore. He snapped. An hour later, his wife was dead and his son was left in a dumpster behind the neighborhood McDonalds. I'd link to it, but I can't remember where I read it.

It riled me.

Last week, someone dumped a perfectly domesticated American Shorthair outside the building where I work. When I say perfectly domesticated, I mean perfectly. We got her home, gave her some food, and she immediately went and found the litter box and did her business. We didn't even show her where it was. She lives with me and my roommate now, her name is Holly now, and she's sprawled out on my bed right now - button cute in that awkward not-a-kitten stage of her life. She's like that tall girl in fifth grade that everyone made fun of, but wanted to date once eighth grade came around.

How she came to live with us riled me.

Humans have a social compact with the defenseless. Children and companion animals depend on us to take care of them and fulfill our end of the bargain. We're allowed to get mad, get frustrated, and even to want to give up on them, but we still have to keep up our end. We have a duty to honor the obligations we accept for ourselves, and it pisses me off when I see folks that don't. I know it's old-fashioned, but I think it's been pretty well established that I live by an old code.

I need everyone who reads this to think before they take on responsibilities. Remember that kittens become cats, puppies grow into dogs, lizards need crickets pretty much daily, and, most importantly, babies aren't always going to be a walk in the park. If you take it or make it, be sure to keep up your end of the bargain - or at least have the balls to seek out someone who can.

No comments: